Sunday, Oct. 6

Kollin strong in first IU match

The two-hour delayed start of the Earl Yestingsmeier Individual Invitational at the Delaware Country Club didn’t faze the IU men’s golf team.

Three of the four Hoosiers finished round one in the top 15 and within six strokes of the leader.

Freshman Max Kollin led the way for the Hoosiers in his first collegiate tournament, shooting an even par 70 putting him in a tie for fourth place. This is three strokes behind the leader, Nick Huggins from Northern Illinois.

Kollin played well throughout the day, recording event-low scores on the par-3 holes (-1) and for the front nine (-2).

He began his round at hole four because of the shotgun start and recorded a birdie, his first hole as Hoosier. A double-bogey on No. 17 was one of only three over-par holes for Kollin.

Joining Kollin in the top 15 are seniors Kyle Perry and John Beringer.

Perry carded a two-over-par 72 which put him in a tie for ninth place, while Beringer’s three-over-par 73 landed him in a tie for 14th.

Sophomore Nicholas Grubnich rounded out the Hoosier scoring, ending his round in a tie for 30th with a seven-over-par 77. His two double bogeys hampered his ability to score low during the round.

Round two was postponed due to darkness and will resume at 9 a.m. today immediately followed by the final 18-holes.  Playing partners and starting holes will remain the same for the final round as they were for rounds one and two.

Jason Haddix