Friday, Sept. 27

Maher discusses range of controversies at IU performance

Bill Maher, host of "Real Time" on HBO, performed Sunday evening at the IU Auditorium.

Critics accuse Maher of political incorrectness, and his comments are often met with opposition from conservatives, who call his program offensive and ignorant.

Maher has no problem with controversial subject matter.

He openly supports marijuana legalization, gay marriage, abortion, subsidies for organic farming, equal pay for women, socialized health care and tax breaks for those of lower economic standing.

“I think he is so witty and smart,” said freshman Molly Myerson, who attended the show. “He made a Sarah Palin comment, and it didn’t go well, but he found a way to come back from it. He knew which lines to cross and which ones not to.”

Maher had much to say about topics ranging from religion to the environment. Here’s a sampling of what Maher discussed at the performance.

Religion

Maher was candid about his ideas regarding religion, stating, “The Bible is a book of fairy tales.”

He made fun of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney for his Mormon faith.

Birth control

Maher discussed the hypocrisy of celibate, Catholic priests who make decisions about what kind of birth control should be used or available.

“Who better to judge than 70-year-old male virgins who wear a dress to work?” Maher asked the audience.

Health care

“You subsidize one kid’s inhaler, then everyone will start to think breathing is an entitlement,” Maher joked, criticizing Republican views of the Affordable Care Act.

Climate change

Maher said Republicans are in blatantly in denial.

“Republicans rationalize that global warming is a hoax, because they said, ‘Last winter, it snowed.’”

Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell and the tea party

Maher was supportive of the overturn of the controversial policy, which prohibits openly gay men and women from serving in the military.

He pointed out the Tea Party’s unintentionally ironic use of identification, “the Tea Baggers,” despite opposing gay rights.

— Cory Schmidt