Sunday, Oct. 6

Martin honored in Hall of Fame

Dave Martin has influenced IU Athletics in more ways than just on the field.

This year, Martin will be inducted into the IU Athletics Hall of Fame, an
establishment he helped found in 1982, for his performance on the football field and in the IU Athletics offices.

Martin has called Bloomington his home for many years.

In the 1940s, Martin was born in the college town. As he grew up, Martin began to love IU and its athletics programs.

In high school, he played football and made a name for himself as a defensive lineman, but when it came to choosing a place to play in college, Martin said his choice was easy.

“I had a lot of scholarship offers from other schools but decided to stay at home and play for the Hoosiers,” Martin said.

From 1959 to 1961, Martin earned a football letter every year for his play on the field.
In 1961, he was voted outstanding defensive lineman.

Martin made his impact on the University not only on the football field but also as the Varsity Club director.

Ten years after his playing time ended, Martin became the third person to have the distinguished title.

In addition to his duties with the Varsity Club, Martin served in various other positions from 1971 to 2006, including associate athletic director and special adviser to athletics.

While Varsity Club director, Martin oversaw the creation of the Athletic Endowment Fund, the University Ticket Priority System, the Varsity Club National Board and the IU Athletics Hall of Fame.

“Not many other schools in the country had an Athletics Hall of Fame, but I thought it was important to have one,” Martin said.

And although Martin will be the one with the award, he said he isn’t the only one who deserves credit for the improvements in the Athletic Department.

“It’s a great honor, but I feel like a lot of people help make my job easy and fun,” Martin said. “The other people getting inducted, like Bobby Robertson, I grew up watching, which is special.”