Sunday, Oct. 6

Men's tennis participates in ITAs

FROM IDS REPORTS

The IU men’s tennis team participated in the 2012 Intercollegiate Tennis Association All-American tournament beginning Monday, Oct. 1.

Senior Isade Juneau and freshman Sam Monette both played in the qualifying draw of the singles. Juneau squared up against the University of Georgia’s Ben Wagland. However, Juneau fell short of victory and was eliminated.

Monette competed against the University of Tulsa’s Tristan Jackson. He moved on in his first collegiate match, winning 6-1, 6-3 in the qualifying draw. The second round of the qualifying draw was a success for him as well, as he beat Georgia’s Ben Wagland 6-1, 6-3, but was defeated by Spencer Wat of Northwestern University in three sets.

Monette was one win away from competing in the main draw before being knocked out of the bracket.

Senior Josh MacTaggart did not play in the qualifying draw but had to compete against the second best player in the country in the main draw, and was not able to make it out.

MacTaggart went on to win his first match of the consolation but faced up against another tough opponent in his second round, No. 16 Chris Mengel out of Duke, who beat MacTaggart in two sets. He lost the first set by three, losing 6-3 in the second set and falling 6-4 in the third.

MacTaggart has thus started his season with a record of 1-2, both loses coming from top ranked opponents.

Juneau and Monette also played in the doubles. They were able to beat the Boise State team of Andrew Bettles and National Serek 8-5 in the first round of the doubles tournament. The second round’s competition gave Juneau and Monette some trouble, and they were not able to advance. The Tennessee team of Ben Davis and Christopher Lang defeated them by a score of 8-6.

The ITA All-American tournament was the official kickoff to the boy’s tennis team. The team will continue its season Friday October 18th, in Memphis, Tenn for the ITA Regionals.  

Frank Bonner