Friday, Sept. 27

Performances to include Swedish pop, off-Broadway adaptation

Jens Lekman and Taken by Trees

Swedish artist Jens Lekman will perform at 8 p.m. today at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

Tickets cost $18 and can be purchased at the BCT Box Office or their website.
Hailing from Gothenburg, Sweden, Lekman’s melodic indie pop incorporates guitar, strings and musical samples.

He released his first full-length album, “Night Falls Over Kortedala,” in 2007.

The Buskirk-Chumley’s biography of Lekman describes his music “as a reminder to look closer at the world around us.”

Lekman is signed with Bloomington-based label Secretly Canadian, although he has independently released five of his EPs.

Fellow countryperson and label mate Taken by Trees will also perform.

The solo project of Victoria Bergsman, Taken by Trees is touring the U.S. this fall with Lekman.

Bergsman will release “Other Worlds,” her third studio album, Tuesday.

She recorded the album in only six days, according to Secretly Canadian’s website.

“Victoria’s creativity and sense of wonder makes Taken by Trees a singular project that is served well by her playful pop sensibilities,” the website said.

The two artists will perform a sold-out show Tuesday night at Lincoln Hall in Chicago.

RX by Kate Fodor

“Rx” opened Friday at Bloomington Playwright’s Project, with additional performances scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Oct. 4 to 6 and Oct. 11 to 13.

General tickets cost $19, $16 for students and seniors, and can be purchased at the BCT Box Office.

$5 student rush tickets are available at the door five minutes before showtime.

The comedic play follows the story of Meena Pierotti after she joins a clinical trial for a pill meant to cure workplace depression.

When Pierotti’s doctor falls in love with her, the trial becomes complicated.

“Rx” premiered as an off-Broadway play in New York. The Bloomington performances are part of BPP’s “Off-Broadway/On-Ninth” series, created to bring a larger audience to small-theater productions.

The play is produced in partnership with the IU Themester, “Good Behavior, Bad Behavior: Molecules to Morality.”

— Kate Thacke