Friday, Sept. 27

Pumpkin treats arrive for fall

Pumpkin

With six Starbucks locations in Bloomington, the words “pumpkin spice latte” are synonymous with fall.

The leaves change, the air chills and, like clockwork, your taste buds tingle for that sip of warm pumpkin spice.

But even latte junkies should know that when it comes to seasonal treats, Starbucks is far from the only establishment cashing in on pumpkin love.

These local favorites have a new way to taste that fall flavor.

Pumpkin bagel and schmear

Bloomington Bagel Company

113 N. Dunn St., 238 N. Morton St. or 913 S. College Mall Road

$2.66

“We’ve been making pumpkin cream cheese (schmear) for seven years,” said Lauren Carmin, line manager at BBC. “On a pumpkin bagel, all warmed up, it tastes like pumpkin pie.”

BBC also sells pumpkin muffins, cake bars, lattes and pumpkin white chocolate scones.

Available through Nov. 30.

Pumpkin cookies

Baked! of Bloomington

313 E. Third St. or for delivery

$8.79 for a half dozen

Baked! adds pumpkin and pumpkin spice to its famous dough recipe for this mouthwatering sweet. As always, they come delivered in a pizza box.

Available through Dec. 14.

Pumpkin soup
Soup’s On

108 S. Rogers St.

$4.75 for a bowl

There are two varieties of pumpkin soup available at Soup’s On — sweet and savory.

The sweet is a thicker soup made from fresh-roasted pumpkins, cream, nutmeg and cinnamon. The savory includes pumpkins, pumpkin seeds, carrots and celery in a warm broth base. The pumpkin comes from Heartland Family Farm in Bedford, Ind.

Available through Dec. 1.

Pumpkin bread
Sugar and Spice

Second floor of the Indiana Memorial Union

$0.89

“This is one of our very favorite recipes,” said Suzette May, manager of Sugar and Spice. May and her team make the fresh-baked pumpkin bread each morning, right in the IMU.

Seasonal pumpkin treats include cupcakes, bars and lattes.

Available year-round.

Pumpkin Pancake
Village Deli

409 E. Kirkwood Ave.

$5.50 for three cakes

The moment you taste them, you’ll know why pumpkin pancakes are some of the most popular items at Village Deli in fall. The chefs add pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg to the pancakes, then top them with Hillman Farm’s pumpkin butter.

Available through Nov. 31.

Pumpkin Pastry
Sweet Claire Gourmet Bakery

309 E. Third St. or at the Bloomington Farmers’ Market

$3.25

Sweet Claire owner Mel Hosteter bakes a French bread, called brioche, fills it with pumpkin cream and drizzles it with chocolate ganache to create this treat your taste buds won’t forget.

Available Fridays and Saturdays until February.