Friday, Sept. 27

SHEL to perform at Bear's Place Wednesday night

A quartet of musically talented sisters will soon arrive in Bloomington with their own brand of melodic folk.

SHEL will perform a free 21-and-older show 9 p.m. Wednesday at Bear’s Place.

Animal Parts and Bloomington band Moor Hound will also perform. Doors open at 8 p.m.

SHEL, an acronym of the four sisters’ names, is comprised of Sarah Holbrook on violin and bass guitar, Hannah Holbrook on keyboard and piano, Eva Holbrook on mandolin and bass guitar and Liza Holbrook on drums and percussion.

The sisters are all vocalists, as well.

Eva said their father, singer-songwriter Andrew Holbrook, encouraged her and her sisters’ musical studies.

The sisters first performed together as backup for their father.

The evolution of SHEL into what it is today happened during the past decade, Eva said.

“We’ve been doing music professionally for the past five years,” she said. “When I was 16, I started writing music. All the girls did as well. We started to collaborate. It’s been a steady growth from there.”

The quartet has played with performers ranging from Los Lobos to Yo Gabba Gabba’s live tour. The band performed at Folk Alliance International and South by Southwest in 2011.

SHEL’s self-titled, full-length album was released Aug. 7.

Each sister has an input in the songwriting and music writing process, Eva Holbrook said.

“Usually, someone brings a song to the table,” she said. “Everyone starts playing and adding their part. We just go at it until we create something we all feel is really awesome.”

Eva Holbrook said knowing her co-writers and performers so well facilitates a creative environment.

“I think it’s different, just growing up together and knowing what buttons not to press,” Eva Holbrook said.

Their current tour began at the end of September and will continue until early November.

“We’re doing our very best to create what we consider great art for anyone who will listen,” she said.