Friday, Sept. 27

To do in Bloomington

Try something new in Bloomington this weekend. From a benefit show to stand-up comedy, there’s an event for most tastes and budgets.

Less than $10

Many on-campus events are free or very cheap. New exhibits “Small is Big” and “Buzz Spector: Off the Shelf” will open with a reception at 6 p.m. Friday at the Grunwald Gallery of Art.

Catch a midnight showing of “Beyond the Black Rainbow” Friday at IU Cinema for $3.
Attend the “XO Variety Show,” a benefit for Middle Way House, from 8 to 11 p.m.

Friday at the Bishop for $5. Gyspy Feet & Friends, Amy and the Dancebox, Mind Parade and Jiridon will perform.

For those aged 21 or older, visit Oliver Winery on North State Road 37. The tasting room is open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday and noon to 6 p.m. Sunday. A guided tasting of eight wines costs $4.67 plus tax.

Watch the semi-finals of the Indiana International Guitar Festival at 10 a.m. Sunday in Ford-Crawford Hall. Guitarist Edoardo Catemario will also perform at 8 p.m. the same day in Auer Hall.

More than $10

See stand-up comedian Kumail Nanjiani perform at 8 p.m. or 10:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday at the Comedy Attic. Student tickets are $12 with a student ID and a two-purchase minimum.

Cinephiles can purchase a $20 weekend pass for the Dark Carnival Film Festival at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. The festival screenings will began at 2 p.m. Saturday and 1:30 p.m. Sunday, as well as a special showing 8 p.m. Friday at Bear’s Place.

Take a date to IU Theatre and Drama’s production of “Richard III” at 7:30 p.m. Friday or Saturday at the Wells-Metz Theatre. Student tickets cost $15 each.

An all-venue wristband to two nights of concerts for the Bloomingtone Music Festival can be purchased through Landlocked Music for $15. Visit bloomingtone.com for a schedule of concerts sorted by musical genre and venue.

For seasonal fun, check out  the Haunted Hayride and Stables, open 7-11 p.m. Friday and Saturday, on South Rockport Road. Combined admission for both attractions costs $15.

- Kate Thacker