Friday, Sept. 27

Watercolor artist, poet to speak at Venue

The Venue Fine Art & Gifts will feature the newest work of watercolor artist Brian Gordy at 6 p.m. Friday.

A native Hoosier, Gordy received a bachelor of fine arts from Ball State University. He has taught art in public schools and universities, as well as private lessons, for more than 25 years.

He was featured in the third volume of “Best of Watercolor” by Rockford Publishing.
Gordy is known for his watercolor landscapes of the Midwest, the Northwoods of Michigan and Canada, according to a press release.

His more recent works depict turtles in their natural habitat in Indiana.

Gordy is a signature member of the Transparent Watercolor Society of America, Watercolor Society of Indiana and Red River Watercolor Society.

Also a member of the Brown County Art Guild, Gordy has earned his place as an Indiana Artisan, according to the release.

“I love the medium of watercolor,” Gordy said on the Indiana Artisan website. “The subjects that attract me are the ones that I know watercolor can’t wait to do.”

Gordy’s work will be featured at the Venue until Nov. 15.

“This exhibit demonstrates the range of his talent,” according to the release. “His paintings are beautiful, serene, and have a luminescence that can only be achieved by a master of the medium of watercolor.”

The Venue will also feature local poet Jenny Kander in “The Art of Poetry” at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Refreshments will be provided during this event.   

Originally from South Africa, Kander has lived in Bloomington for 20 years and has produced programs for both community and National Public Radio stations.

She is a founding member of Bloomington Free Verse, now known as the Tuesday Poets.

Kander is the host of “The Poets Weave,” a weekly five-minute program of poetry reading on WFIU.

She has “been a strong influence, mentor and role model for local poets,” according to a press release. “Her own writing is colored with the patina of maturity, is strong, insightful and sensitive, and she reads it with extraordinary style and grace.”

— Makenzie Holland