Friday, Sept. 27

AAAI to present 'Potpourri'

IU’s African American Arts Institute will present its annual A Potpourri of Arts in the African American Tradition concert 8 p.m. Saturday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

Created in 1993, the Potpourri of Arts concert was created to give the African American Choral Ensemble, African American Dance Company and IU Soul Revue a chance to perform together.

All three ensembles consist of IU students.

“Potpourri, the word itself, is a mixture of things,” said Charles Sykes, executive director of the institute. “That’s exactly what the concert is, a chance for the three ensembles to perform all in one night, incorporating popular music and dance. It’s a program of its own kind.”

The African American Dance Company plans to express a story that explores the subconscious mind of a dreamer who experiences discontent and oppression after peaceful sleep.

IU Soul Revue has had a reputation as one of the finest collegiate music ensembles in America since 1971, according to the African American Arts Institute website.

They will perform numerous Motown classics by the Temptations, the Supremes, Stevie Wonder and The Jackson 5.

The African American Choral Ensemble will perform a broad repertoire, which will include spirituals and gospel hymns. They will perform works by Jester Hairston, Moses Hogan, Rosephanye Powell, John Lakin and the new African American Choral Ensemble director Raymond Wise.

All three ensembles will combine their talents of music and dance for the final number.

This year’s finale theme is “New Season, New Day,” which includes works by Israel Houghton and Alicia Keys.

Wise composed the arrangement with choreography by Iris Rosa.

“We’re dedicating the final piece to Dr. Raymond Wise,” Sykes said. “He originated the theme, and he brings such a new and incredible energy to our program.”

The three ensembles have prepared for this event since the beginning of the semester. Each ensemble has rehearsed at least three hours twice per week to prepare.

“The hard work is worth it,” performer Lauren Blackwell said. “This event is rare and unlike any other. Although we have African war pieces and gospel music, it’s way more beyond that.”

Blackwell, a freshman member of the African American Dance Company, said the concert will include many styles of music.

“It’s not evolved around one genre of anything,” Blackwell said. “We have so much variation of everything, and what we put into our performance displays so much rich African culture.”