Sunday, Oct. 6

Badgers bring running attack

This Saturday at Memorial Stadium, IU and Wisconsin will clash on the field, and the winner will control its destiny in the Leaders Division.

The Hoosiers (4-5, 2-3) are looking for their third consecutive Big Ten win, which hasn’t happened since 1993.

Since 1993, Wisconsin (6-3, 3-2) has missed a bowl game only twice.

“Since the early 1990s, they have been one of the premier programs in our league,” IU Coach Kevin Wilson said. “This a great program that we are playing this weekend.”

Along with its winning tradition, Wisconsin has a long track record of  star running backs.

Ron Dayne won the Heisman Trophy in 1999, and current senior running back Montee Ball finished fourth in Heisman voting last year.

This year’s Wisconsin offense has had a majority of run plays to passes, 377 carries to 205 pass attempts.

“They want to establish the run game and then compliment that with the play action pass,” Defensive Coordinator Doug Mallory said. “They have really good balance, which makes them a good offense.”

Ball has 1,028 total rushing yards, which is 15th in the country. He is second in the Big Ten in scoring with 13 rushing touchdowns.

Junior running back James White averages six and one half yards per carry and has recorded six rushing touchdowns on the year.

Mallory said he has noticed through film that the run opens up the pass with the Wisconsin offense.

“I think Wisconsin takes a great pride in being able to run the football and be a real physical offense,” Mallory said. “They are going to be able to pound you and then use the pass to their advantage.”

Junior quarterback Danny O’Brien started the first three games of the season before being replaced by freshman Joel Stave in the third quarter against Utah State.

Stave helped the Badgers score 27 points or more in five of their next six games.

Last week against Michigan State, Stave broke his collarbone. He won’t play for the rest of the year.

O’Brien will start this Saturday’s game against IU.

“Their scheme hasn’t changed,” cornerbacks Coach Brandon Shelby said about the difference in Wisconsin quarterbacks. “They are going to get the ball to number 28 (Ball) and let him do his job, and O’Brien is a good enough quarterback to throw the ball to one of his receivers.”

His main receiver is Jared Abbrederis, who leads the Badgers with 675 receiving yards and five touchdowns.

“They have Abbrederis, who is a great route-runner,” junior cornerback Antonio Marshall said. “One of the best route-runners we have seen all year.”

The recent history between the two teams hasn’t been pleasant for the Hoosiers.

The last two games between these teams ended in Wisconsin defeating IU both times while outscoring the Hoosiers by 115 points.

“We are still kind of bitter about the last two times we played Wisconsin, and we really want to make a statement on Saturday,” junior wide receiver Kofi Hughes said.