Friday, Sept. 27

Cardinal Stage Company sells tickets for 'Oz' at BCT

Tickets are on sale now for Cardinal Stage Company’s production of “The Wizard of Oz.”

“Wizard” will premiere at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater Dec. 21 and will run through Jan. 5. Ticket prices start at $17.50 for adults, $9.50 for students and $8 for children.

Tickets can be purchased online at cardinalstage.org or Cardinal’s box office on 900 S. Walnut St.

Adapted from the 1939 movie based on “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz” by Frank L. Baum, the family holiday production will feature 60 local actors, according to a press release.

IU graduate Charnette Batey will star as Dorothy. Sophomore Nat Zegree, a musical theatre student, will perform as the scarecrow.

In addition to the main cast members, the production will include a 15-person chorus and a 34-member children’s chorus.

“Wizard” is designed to be exciting but not scary for children, artistic director Randy White said in a press release.

He said it is age-appropriate and can be enjoyed by anyone older than 4 years old.

The set, designed by retired Jacobs School of Music professor and IU Opera and Ballet Theater set designer David Higgins, will be the biggest in Cardinal’s history.

“Wizard” will also feature new special effects never attempted before at the Buskirk-Chumley, according to a press release.

“I’ve directed dozens of shows and I’ve never attempted anything like what we’re doing with ‘Wizard,’” White said in a press release. “The effects are demanding, but we really want them to be thrilling.”

— Kate  Thacker