Sunday, Oct. 6

Column: Preliminary IU football awards

I’m not one to celebrate individual accolades or awards.

I’ve never been a fan of the Heisman Trophy, Davey O’Brien Award, Ray Guy Award or any other individualized recognition.

Sure, the winners deserve the honor, but what I love most dearly about the game of football is the camaraderie and team aspect, the belief that the whole is greater than the individual pieces.

That’s what has been the most enjoyable aspect of watching this year’s IU squad quadruple its win total from last season.

There haven’t been just one or two names clogging the headlines during the Hoosiers’ 4-5 campaign. Rather, it has been a collection of guys coming together to produce one of the more memorable seasons in Bloomington during the last 10 years.

But I would be remiss to overlook the accomplishments of the overly deserving individuals on the IU roster.

Without further ado, I will hand out my preliminary yearly awards.

Offensive Player of the Year Award: sophomore quarterback Cameron Coffman

Coffman, in his first season with IU after transferring from Arizona Western Community College, was thrust into the quarterback role unexpectedly against Massachusetts when sophomore Tre Roberson broke his left leg.

The 6-feet-2-inch, 191-pound Coffman struggled in the early going but has begun to show the moxie and poise of a grizzled veteran. He has completed 63.5 percent of his passes for a total of 1,699 yards and 10 touchdowns to just four interceptions.

Coffman had his signature outing Saturday against Iowa, completing 21 of
33 attempts for 315 yards and three touchdowns.

Honorable mention for Offensive Player of the Year goes to junior running back Stephen Houston.

Defensive Player of the Year Award: junior safety Greg Heban

Heban is the story of this IU team. The Muncie native arrived at IU as a pitcher on the Hoosier baseball team but earned a football scholarship last year after walking on during the 2010 season.

The Academic All-Big Ten selection from a season ago has been all over the field for the Hoosiers defensively this season, racking up 65 total tackles, one fumble recovery, eight pass deflections and two interceptions.

The aspect of his game that has pleased the IU coaching staff most is his consistency. Heban comes through in the clutch game after game after game, which is a lesson that has taken time to spread to the rest of the defense.

Honorable mention for Defensive Player of the Year goes to senior defensive tackle Adam Replogle.

Newcomer of the Year Award: freshman left tackle Jason Spriggs

Spriggs, from Elkhart, Ind., has been a force on the offensive line this year.

The 6-feet-7-inch, 268-pounder usurped junior Charlie Chapman as the starting left tackle after Chapman battled post-concussion symptoms in the preseason. What was originally planned as a temporary solution transformed into a permanent one, and Spriggs will likely be the Hoosiers’ starting left tackle for the next three seasons.

And while he is still extremely raw, Spriggs possesses the talent, smarts and work ethic to be a possible selection in the NFL Draft.

Honorable mention for Newcomer of the Year goes to freshman running back Tevin Coleman.

­— ckillore@indiana.edu