Friday, Sept. 27

Dubstep artist energizes Bluebird crowd

Glow stick bracelets and light-up hula hoops ran amuck Friday at the Bluebird Nightclub as dubstep artist Adventure Club performed for eager fans.

The club, which blasted music from Arcade Fire and Of Monsters and Men on its bar soundtrack prior to the show, ventured over to the “dub side” to feature the Canadian-based dubstep duo.

Featuring openers and fellow dubstep musicians DJ X-5IGHT and Shy Guy Says, Adventure Club attracted an eclectic audience.

Attendees showed up in everything from ratty old T-shirts and jeans to fluorescent mini tutus and rainbow-colored furry boots.

Beginning around 10:30 p.m. and lasting until 2 a.m., the acts rocked the house with electronic remixes and heavy bass drops.

The crowd fist-bumped and thrashed around to the beats the artists laid down and went crazy when remixes of Top 40 hits popped up in the sets.

Dubstep versions of “Every Teardrop is a Waterfall” by Coldplay and “Mr. Brightside” by The Killers energized the crowd, who sung along while headbanging.

By the time Adventure Club took the stage at 12:30 a.m., although down one member, the crowd was pumped up and anxious to see the main event.

Dressed in a simple jacket, T-shirt and jeans and with hair noticeably unshaven, DJ Leighton James’ look didn’t seem influenced by popular dubstep artists, such as deadmau5 or Skrillex.

He kicked off his set with a remix of Yeah Yeah Yeahs hit “Maps” and encouraged everyone to “put your hands up.”

Adventure Club will continue to party hard and drop beats as they headline shows in Dallas and Austin, Texas, Nov. 8 and 9, respectively.

For those who didn’t make it to the show, listen to tracks at www.soundcloud.com/AdventureClubDubstep.

- Carolyn Crowcroft