Friday, Sept. 27

Jazz artist performs in celebration

Jazz vocalist Catherine Russell will perform at 8 p.m. today at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

Russell’s performance is part of the Buskirk-Chumley’s 90th anniversary celebration and homage to jazz music.

Tickets are on sale for $20 and can be purchased through bctboxoffice.com.

A seasoned songstress in the world of jazz music, Russell has performed with musical legends Steely Dan, Cyndi Lauper and David Bowie, among others.

While in high demand as a backing vocalist, Russell has made a name for herself as a solo artist.

Her two albums “Cat” and “Sentimental Streak” have received critical acclaim and have landed her on music critics’ top 10 lists.

The songstress, who All Music Guide called “a retro old school vocalist for the ages,” is on tour promoting her latest album, “Inside This Heart of Mine,” which features Russell’s voice on a number of jazz staples from the 1920s until present day.

Danielle McClelland, executive director for the Buskirk-Chumley, said she discovered Russell after she performed at the Lotus festival several years ago.

McClelland said the theater is also paying homage to jazz musician Hoagy Carmichael.

“In the late 1920s, Hoagy Carmichael played frequently in the area and, we believe, the Indiana Theater,” McClelland said. “We wanted to have a special jazz performance in November in honor of the anniversary, and Catherine’s tour coincided.”

McClelland said Russell is a wonderful artist who mixes soulful jazz with American roots and blues music.

“She’s an amazing performer,” she said. “She has incredible stage presence, she captivates and engages the audience and she has a stunning voice that feels warm and inviting. It makes you want to listen to her all night.”

- Carolyn Crowcroft