Friday, Sept. 27

Local artist hopes to win competition

A painting by Bloomington artist Joel Washington could soon be featured in art shows in Miami Beach, Fla., and New York.

Washington submitted his painting, “Rahsaan Roland Kirk,” in the Bombay Sapphire Artisan Series Contest.

Today is the last day to vote in the contest at sapphireartisanseries.com/submission/list.

From the pool of contestants, 12 winning artists will be selected.

The winning works of art will be displayed at the Scope Art Show 2012 during Art Basel Miami, which calls itself the “most prestigious art show in the Americas.”

Two artists will then be selected to show their work at Russell and Danny Simmons’ Rush Arts Gallery in New York.

Washington’s paintings have been displayed at venues ranging from the Indiana State Museum to the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok.

He said IU owns more than 16 of his paintings, which hang in locations such as Willkie Residence Center and the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center.

The paintings are inspired by the Pop Art movement, 1960s graphic art and 1980s contemporary art.

Washington said he has always been influenced by animation, comic books and the Beatles’ film “Yellow Submarine.”

“Rahsaan Roland Kirk” is one of seven paintings Washington is creating in tribute to Kirk, a jazz musician who died of a stroke in 1977 the night after a performance in the Frangipani Room at the IMU.

Kirk went blind at an early age, but he learned to play tenor saxophone, flute, clarinet and the harmonica, among other instruments.

When one side of his body was paralyzed after his first stroke in 1975, Kirk modified his instruments so they could be played with one arm.

Washington’s painting depicts Kirk playing a flute with three colorful saxophones hanging around his neck.

He said he was inspired by Kirk’s dedication to his craft, despite adversity, until the end of his life.

“If you have a passion, just take it to the highest level,” Washington said. “It doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to be famous or anything to do, but just to carry out something you really enjoy without any boundaries.”

Washington studied art for a year at Ivy Tech Community College in Columbus, Ind., and later moved to Bloomington in 1975.

While he hopes exposure from the contest will one day allow him to show in galleries in New York or Chicago, Washington said he plans to stay in Bloomington.

“I’ve always wanted to do shows in bigger venues,” Washington said. “Maybe this will give me my first opportunity to do that.”

— Kate Thacker