Friday, Sept. 27

Medical school students create artwork for show

School of Medicine students traded stethoscopes for art supplies for the fourth annual IUPUI School of Medicine Art Show, “Scientific Inquiry, Artistic Expression,” which began Nov. 1 and will  wrap up Thursday.

About 90 pieces of artwork, which include paintings and sculptures, are on display at the VanNuys Medical Science Building in Indianapolis.

According to a press release, the show has grown since its debut in 2008. The event now accepts work by faculty, staff, students and alumni of IU’s schools of medicine, nursing, dentistry and other related programs.

Employees of the Department of Veterans Affairs, Wishard and IU Health systems were also given the opportunity.

The art show allowed visitors to vote for their favorite works of art.

The first-place “People’s Choice” award was presented to media arts and science graduate student Kevin Edwards for his pencil sketch of a physician comforting patients, according to the press release.

Artist Gary Schmitt, who works with the School of Medicine’s Office of Visual Media, entered, among other works, a sculpture of a hammer and tool board created from wood and wool.

“It’s motivating exhibiting work — I think that’s what’s really valuable about this annual event,” Schmitt said in a press release. “Next, I’m going to start incorporating more stainless steel into my sheep’s wool.”

A Meet the Artists reception will take place from 4 to 6 p.m. Thursday.

“I really appreciate that the school gives us this chance each year to exhibit works by people at the University,” medical research associate Philip Blomgren said in the press release. “My hope is this exhibit will go on to inspire people to indulge their own creativity.”

— Kirsten Clark