Saturday, Oct. 5

Drouin honored for Olympics performance

spDrouin Carousel

IU senior Derek Drouin is no stranger to collegiate track and field awards, receiving two more this past week — only these came from the international level.

Athletics Canada, the governing body for Canadian track and field, named Drouin the winner of both the Cal D. Bricker Memorial Trophy for outstanding performance of the year and the F.N.A. Rowell Trophy for outstanding athlete of the year in field events. Drouin received the awards in light of his performance in the high jump at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.

Drouin, an Ontario native, finished in a three-way tie for third place. The bronze medal was Canada’s only track and field medal of the Games  and its first by a male track and field athlete since 1996. Additionally, it was Canada’s first men’s high jump medal since 1976.

Drouin also became IU’s 14th track and field medalist and its 88th in all events.

“Derek continues to receive well-deserved awards and recognition, underscoring once again his incredible talent and ability to turn that talent into outstanding performances,” IU Coach Ron Helmer said in a press release. “It is very exciting and somewhat comforting to know he will lead our team into competition one more time this winter and spring.”

The awards come on the heels of Drouin’s sixth Big Ten Field Athlete of the Week honors. In his most recent meet on Dec. 8, Drouin earned a first-place finish in the pentathlon at the Hoosier Open.

IU Track and Field will resume its season by competing against Purdue in a dual meet on Saturday.

— Casey Krajewski