Saturday, Oct. 5

FINAL: IU 72, Penn State 49

Even though the team struggled from the field in the first half, the IU men's basketball team caught fire from beyond the arc in the second half, leading to a 72-49 defeat of Penn State Wednesday night in Assembly Hall.

IU scored seven quick points early in the half, off a layup from senior forward Christian Watford and five-straight points from freshman guard Kevin"Yogi" Ferrell. With 17:54 left in the half, IU held a 7-0 lead.

But from there on, the Hoosiers scored just 26 points to close the half, shooting just 10-of-27 from the floor and just 57.1 percent from the free throw line.

Junior Will Sheehey seemed to get into a groove late in the half, making IU's final three field goals, including two-straight 3-pointers. He led the Hoosiers in scoring during the first 20 minutes with eight points.

Penn State shared in IU's shooting woes, going just 8-of-27 from the field in their low-scoring first half.

Out of the gate in the second half, though, the Hoosiers could hardly miss from beyond the arc. Just 1:05 into the half, Penn State was forced to call a timeout after eight early IU points, including two 3-pointers.

The trend from beyond the arc would continue for the remainder of the game, as the Hoosiers hit six-straight from long range, and the IU lead grew from there, finishing with 11-of-20 from distance.

Junior guard Victor Oladipo led the Hoosiers with 19 points, including a 9-of-12 line from the charity stripe. Ferrell followed with a career-high of 15 points, including 3-of-4 from beyond the three-point line.

-Nathan Brown