Friday, Sept. 27

Guide to MLK weekend

Friday

MLK Day Film Festival

4 p.m., IU Cinema

Civil Rights Filmmaker Madeline Anderson, the first American-born black woman to make a 30-minute documentary recognized by a film union, will be honored with a screening of her film, “I Am Somebody.”  The film will be followed by a reception in the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center Grand Hall.

Saturday

MLK Day Film Festival

3 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., IU Cinema

More films will be featured, including “Once Upon a Time When We Were Colored” and “Boycott.”

Sunday

IU women’s basketball game

2 p.m., Assembly Hall

IU Athletics will honor and celebrate the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with video presentations and recognition of the achievements of historical IU student-athletes such as Bill Garrett, Milt Campbell, Denise Jackson and George Taliaferro. Fans will receive materials that highlight these athletes.

“Catalyst” Emergent Theater Project Inspired by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

4 p.m., Indiana Memorial Union Whittenberger Auditorium

IUB students and Ivy Tech-Bloomington students worked together on this unique production. It was directed by Gus Weltsek and Eric Love, who was also the producer, and is sponsored by IU Black Student Union, IU Student Association, Office of Diversity Education, Commission on Multicultural Understanding and IU Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Committee.

Monday

“True Colors” – Realizing the Dream Through Spoken Word!

11:45 a.m., Kelley Dining Room at the Virgil T. DeVault Alumni Center

A one-act play comprising vignettes examines themes of diversity, multiculturalism and inclusion. A light lunch will be served.

Unity Summit

Noon, Wilkie Auditorium

The Unity Summit attracts about 300 participants each year to address issues of diversity, discrimination, and advocacy in small, facilitated group discussions. It has been an annual event for about a decade.

Race and Ethnic Relations Film Night: “Shattering the Silences: The Case of Minority Faculty”

6:30 p.m., La Casa Latino Cultural Center

Bloomington Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. birthday celebration

7 p.m., Buskirk-Chumley Theater, 114 E. Kirkwood Ave.

The annual event will include remarks from Mayor Mark Kruzan and a presentation of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Legacy Award. A reception is scheduled before the main event and will begin at 6 p.m. Carlotta LeNier, the youngest of the Little Rock Nine, will keynote the event.