Saturday, Oct. 5

Track and field opens doors for invitational

IU Track and Field will play its biggest event yet this season as teams from around the country gather Friday and Saturday for the Gladstein Invitational. Invitational races for the women’s and men’s 3000 meter will highlight the meet.

Schools as large as Ohio State will compete against Hillsdale College, a small liberal arts college in Michigan. Most teams hail from the Midwest, but some travel from as far away as Alabama.

As for the big events at the meet, the women’s 3000 meter will feature several Hoosier runners. Senior Kelsey Duerksen, who was named the Big Ten Female Track Athlete of the Week, is among the field following her performance against Purdue. It was the second time she earned this recognition this season.

IU Coach Ron Helmer said Duerksen is still improving, and as a coach, he is trying to move her into that upper echelon of athletes.

“Don’t get me wrong, she’s already really good,” Helmer said. “She consistently gives us really solid efforts. And she’s talented enough and experienced enough that those efforts are resulting in good performances.”

Duerksen will also compete in the 4x800-meter relay as she looks to earn herself another athlete of the week bid.

Not to be outdone, the men’s 3000 meter is expected to be quite the show as well.

Senior Zach Mayhew and junior Robby Nierman will compete in the event.

Helmer said he had high hopes for fast times from the both of them.

The last time one of Mayhew’s races was featured as the main event of a meet was before winter break at the Hoosier Open. Mayhew, along with several of the most talented distance runners in the country, competed in a dramatic 5000-meter race.

Mayhew said he crossed the line second with a time he was very pleased with.
Senior Andy Bayer will pace the field containing a mix of collegiate-affiliated and unattached runners.

After last weekend’s dual meet victories against Purdue, Helmer said he had mixed emotions about the amount of effort some athletes were showing.

“We’ve communicated that a couple of different ways,” Helmer said. “The reality is athletes have to make choices about how they go about their business. As a coach, you can try to manipulate things so that they make the choice you want them to make, but ultimately, the athletes have to decide to take ownership.”

Despite this potential setback, Helmer said he expects good performances this weekend.

“At this point, for some people, we’re just now trying to push the right buttons,” Helmer said. “At the very worst it will be really good.”