Saturday, Oct. 5

Column: Watford's hot shooting boosts IU

Watford

The “Wat Shot” to beat Kentucky may have made Christian Watford’s 3-point shooting famous, but this year, the senior’s shooting from behind the arc has been more about consistency than flare.

Entering Wednesday night’s game against Nebraska, Watford leads the Big Ten in 3-point shooting at 48.8 percent (41-of-84).

In the same category, he also sits one spot higher than teammate and known-marksman Jordan Hulls (47.9 percent from behind the arc).

“He’s not better than me,” Hulls joked with the media Tuesday. “There’s a little friendly competition.”

While Hulls still may be the Hoosiers’ most lethal three-point threat, nobody has been hotter from behind than arc in the last four games than Watford.

Dating back to the Purdue game, Watford is 11-of-18 (61.1 percent) from 3-point land, including two games (Purdue and Ohio State) where he hit 4-of-5.

How does he keep getting better?

The same way that any good shooter does: Hours in the gym shooting over and over.

"It’s a lot of shooting in practice," coach Tom Crean said about Watford's recent hot streak. "A lot. Yesterday and today, just a ton of shooting."

Since arriving in Bloomington from Birmingham, Ala., Watford’s 3-point percentage and attempts have increased every year.

Watford’s 3-point stats from freshman year through this season

15-of-47 (31.9 percent)
37-of-97 (38.1 percent)
52-of-119 (43.7 percent)
41-of-84 (46.8 percent)

“I think his confidence is there,” IU Coach Tom Crean said. “I think he understands where those shots are. He’s gotten better and better at understanding where those shots aren’t and when it’s time to drive it or make the next pass.”

Last year, Watford finished the season ranked sixth in the Big Ten in 3-point field goal percentage (43.7), but did not hit a three in 13 of 36 games played.

This year, Watford has become efficient because he knows he can rely on the others around him to make plays if he doesn’t shoot.

In 23 games, the senior has only had four games without a 3-pointer, while posting seven games with three or more.

“The consistency is his key,” Crean said. “It’s consistency of the purpose every day.”

Watford’s increased effectiveness from beyond the arc, combined with his established ability to attack the paint, has made him that much harder to guard.

For the season, Watford has scored 316 points.

One hundred twenty-three of those points have come on his 41 made three-pointers, 100 have come in the paint and 91 from the free throw line.

If you add those numbers up and subtract it from his total points of the season (316), Watford has only scored two points (one field goal) that did not come from behind the arc, in the paint or at the free throw line.

“He’s a multi-dimensional, versatile player,” Crean said. “The versatility that we always envisioned him having as a player I think he is really getting.”

Watford’s versatility as a scorer has moved him to 11th place on IU’s all-time scoring list, but it’s the intangibles that have left other teams scratching their heads when deciding how to guard him.

“Obviously, a guy who is 6-foot-9 that can step out and shoot the three creates a lot of problems for the other team most of the time,” Hulls said. “He’s been able to grow as a player and is shooting the ball a lot better.”

Modestly, Watford is always quick to point out that his teammates do a good job finding him for open looks or that he is getting more open looks because his teammates are good.

But on a team that is filled with 3-point shooters, Watford has become the most efficient Hoosier from behind the arc because he has become a model of consistency and hard work.

Watford hasn’t had an individual moment this year as glamorous as the Wat Shot, but don’t forget about him on this team full of charisma and stars.

When all of the defenders follow Cody Zeller, Victor Oladipo and others down the court during fast break opportunities, Watford is there to slip behind the defense for an open three-pointer as the trailer.

"He’s as good a trailer as there is in college basketball in my mind," Crean said. "We felt like that last year. That’s how he beat Kentucky."

Consistency doesn't look spectacular, but it's effective.