Saturday, Oct. 5

IU remains No. 1 in AP Top 25

Even with a last-second loss to Illinois last Thursday, Indiana remains No. 1 in the newest AP Poll released Monday, receiving 26 first-place votes.

In the Coaches Poll, released shortly afterward, the Hoosiers dropped to No. 2 while Duke ascended to the top spot for the third time this season.

This week marks the second time in the last three weeks that the two polls have different No. 1 teams.

Four of the top five teams in last weeks’ polls lost this week. While Duke emerged unblemished, the Blue Devils squeaked out a narrow 62-61 road win against Boston College on Sunday evening.

In the AP Poll, Duke rose to No. 2, fellow ACC team Miami jumped to No. 3 and Michigan dropped a single spot to No. 4.

Gonzaga rounds out the top five with the highest ranking for a mid-major team thus far this season.

The Big Ten remains a significant presence in the polls. In addition to IU and Michigan, Michigan State is in the top 10 at No. 8.

Despite losses to both IU and Michigan, Ohio State dropped just three spots to No. 13.

Wisconsin defeated the Wolverines and reenters the polls at No. 20.

Though unranked, reeling Minnesota is the first team out of the AP Poll. Illinois also received votes.

Butler moved up three spots to No. 11, meaning every team IU has lost to at least received some consideration from poll voters.

With Georgetown now No. 15, IU is 4-1 this season against current top 15 teams.

— Max McCombs