Friday, Sept. 27

Seluah to bring dark-hearted trance rock to the Bishop

In Persian folklore, the Seluah was a mythical sea siren capable of luring and drowning its innocent victims to untimely deaths.

Now the myth has become the embodiment of dark-hearted trance rock as Seluah, a Louisville, Ky.-based band playing at 9:30 p.m. today at the Bishop Bar.
Lead singer Edward Grimes said the audience at the Bishop can expect to hear songs from the group’s first full-length album “Red Parole,” as well as material from past recordings.

Seluah will play eight to 10 songs for the crowd before lending the stage to Harpooner, a newly formed, ‘70s-inspired Latin rock band comprised of members from four existing local bands.

Harpooner with one member from each of The Calumet Reel, Triptides, Fluffer and The Broderick will perform a mix of Santana covers and “harpoonlets,” or original Harpooners songs.

Harpooners frontman and pianist Scott Schmadeskigs said the bandmates met last March under similar circumstances.

“The four of us met actually in northern Maine,” Schmadeskigs said. “Two of us were on a missions trip while the other two were on a week-long peyote trip. Once we realized we were all on a spiritual journey and oddly all from Indiana, we became fast friends.”

Tonight’s set by Harpooner will preclude Sunday’S recording of its newest single “Strung to the Moon” from within an undisclosed church building in Bloomington.
Seluah’s Grimes said the show will be a good chance for both bands to branch out into the local community and reach more fans than they do via social media sites such as Facebook or Bandcamp.

“We’ve always wanted to play here,” Grimes said. “It’s something we’ve been working on for awhile. As a band, we’re always trying to get into new places. Bands are kind of doing themselves a disservice if they don’t play locally.”