Friday, Sept. 27

The best of both worlds

WIUX, University Players team up for dual show

entWIUX Carousel

Two forms of art were documented live from the “black box” for the first time Tuesday in the Studio Theatre.

Student radio station WIUX and student theater group University Players collaborated in the creation of “Live: from the Black Box,” an event which showcased and documented live performances by the University Players and local bands The Broderick and Charlie Patton’s War.

Inspired by NPR’s Tiny Desk Concerts, No Frequency: The WIUX Blog recorded the night’s performances, planning to upload the footage online to increase
readership.

Bari Finkel, the blog’s web content director and an IDS employee, said WIUX was responsible for booking the bands and bringing in the filming crew equipment and recording talent.

“By banding with University Players, we were able to bring a student theatrical aspect to the event and secure a location,” Finkel said. “This location and event is bigger than we thought it would be.”

The audience surrounded the stage floor, crowding the small, black room where performances were held. Bands The Broderick and Charlie Patton’s War played two sets each, while WIUX staff worked the soundboard and recording equipment.

“They’ve got a really awesome sound and they’re so tight as a band,” attendee Nick Murray said about The Broderick. “It’s great watching such talented musicians live.”

The University Players had two performances, one after The Broderick played, and one after Charlie Patton’s War played. The first one, “Jen In Catatonic,” was about a woman who made sexual advances on other men in front of her catatonic husband.
Nico Thomas, writer and director, said he was interested in the idea of innocence when he was creating the piece.

“It was playing around with the idea of who’s really innocent and the things that affect us,” Thomas said. “Like, do the actions that we do justify the pain that has been inflicted upon the victims?”

The group’s second performance, written by Nick Pappas, was “No Touching,” a portrayed role reversal of adults and children.

Stage manager Katherine Taylor said working with WIUX was a beneficial
experience.

“Collaborating with WIUX is a great way to expand our horizons and reach out to IU students,” Taylor said.