Saturday, Oct. 5

Zeller named Big Ten co-Player of the Week

Following 19-point outputs in a pair of wins that helped elevate IU back to No. 1 in the polls, sophomore forward Cody Zeller has been named Big Ten co-Player of the Week for the second time this season.

In both cases, Zeller has shared the weekly honor, this time with Michigan State guard Keith Appling.

It is the third week this season an IU player has taken the award, after Zeller’s first win on Jan. 14 and junior guard Victor Oladipo earning it on Jan. 28.

After a short slump in which Zeller scored just 11 points total in the two prior games, he led IU in scoring against both Purdue and then-No. 1 Michigan. He shot 8-for-10 from the field against the Wolverines.

He also averaged 10.5 rebounds in the two games, again leading the team both times.

His most recent was perhaps his most notable and most unorthodox. With less than two minutes remaining Saturday against Michigan and IU nursing a seven-point lead, Zeller dived for a loose ball that narrowly missed going out of bounds.

With Zeller the first player to control it after bouncing off the rim, it was credited as a rebound despite being near half court.

“I was just trying to keep it alive and make a play down the stretch,” Zeller said after the game. “I always pride myself on the hustle plays, all the little things that anyone can do.”

For the season, Zeller is averaging 16.3 points per game on 59.6 percent shooting and 8.3 rebounds per contest.

- Max McCombs