Saturday, Oct. 5

Davies leads way to 6th place finish

The IU women’s golf team continued a season of steady improvement Saturday, finishing sixth at the 15-team Mountain View Collegiate at the Mountain View Golf Club in Tucson, Ariz.

Senior Rosie Davies climbed up two spots on the leaderboard on the final day to finish tied for 14th after shooting a 1-over 73 on Saturday. Davies was the highest Hoosier finisher in the field, with a combined 219 over three rounds of play.

IU Coach Clint Wallman said he was pleased with what he saw from his team over the course of the tournament.

“We got much better play from top to bottom,” he said. “We played at the level we should be playing at. The girls had good pace and good tempo and really paid attention to the details.

“That showed up in a strong score. We look to build upon that finish next week.”

The next highest finisher for the Hoosiers was graduate student Kristen Schelling, who tallied a 3-under 69 to finish tied for 23rd (77-75-69/221).

Her third round score of 69 was also the low round for the tournament for any Hoosier golfer.

Sophomore Elizabeth Tong posted a final round 2-over 74, placing her tied for 29th in the field (72-76-74/222).

She provided perhaps the most exciting shot for the Hoosiers on Saturday, recording a hole-in-one on the 17th hole of the Mountain View Golf Club, a par-3 that plays straight downhill into the wind. 

Tied with her was freshman Marissa DeCola, who shot a 3-over 75 Saturday. Her total round scores for the three day event were 72-75-75. 

Senior Kate Coons gave Indiana five players in the top-35 as she finished tied for 34th with a score of 223. She was the second Hoosier to post an under-par round for the day, with a 2-under 70.

Also competing for the Hoosiers on an individual basis was freshman Eva Schoenwald. She placed 79th in the field, firing an 85 on the final day of competition to give her a tournament total tally of 248.

Texas Tech won the title at a total score of 858, followed by San Jose State (859), Texas State (871), Kansas State (873) and Missouri (876). 

Krista Puisite from Texas State won the individual title, shooting a tournament total of 209, which was highlighted by a 5-under par round of 67 on Friday.

The Hoosiers will be back on the course competitively again March 25 at the Briar’s Creek Invitational in John’s Island, S.C.