Saturday, Oct. 5

Halftime: IU 26, Iowa 14

After the first half of tonight's game at Assembly Hall pitting No. 1 IU against Iowa, the Hoosiers head into the locker room with a 12-point lead, but the first half was not defined by IU's defense on Iowa's large presence inside.

Both teams combined for just 40 points in the game's first 20 minutes with IU leading 26-14 at halftime.

Though just barely, the Hawkeyes out-shot IU from the field at 29.2 percent, just marginally better than IU's 28.6 percent.

The Hoosiers had plenty of chances to break the game open early as Iowa's physical play in the pain led to IU reaching the bonus just 7:18 into the first half, but IU's struggles followed them to the free throw line as well, shooting just 10-of-17 from the charity stripe.

Junior guard Victor Oladipo even went just 1-of-2 from the free throw line on one trip after Iowa Coach Fran McCaffery received a technical foul from complaining with the refs with 10:26 left in the half.

IU managed to force 13 turnovers on the Hawkeyes with a quick, stifling defensive presence - multiple times forcing Iowa to throw up a prayer in the final seconds of the shot clock.

But the Hoosiers gave away eight turnovers of their own to keep Iowa in the game as they struggled to even get into double figures until 5:40 left in the half.

-Nathan Brown