Sunday, Oct. 6

politics

I-69 project to result in road closures

Ten roads in Monroe and Green counties will be closed due to construction of section four of the I-69 project.

Twenty-three roads will remain open along the I-69 corridor from U.S. 231 in Greene County to State Road 37 in Bloomington.

Carter Road, Evans Lane and Big Sky Lane in Monroe County will subsequently close as a result of the construction.

In Greene County, County Road 200 East, County Road 400 South, Taylor Ridge Road, Old Clifty Road, Cedar Road and the north portion of County Road 1250 East will also close.

Cher Elliott, spokeswoman for the Indiana Department of Transportation, said the roads were selected using information collected through the public hearing process as well as meetings with local government officials, school corporations and emergency officials.

Elliott said eliminating roads reduces the cost of the project by removing the need to build an interchange or overpass.

“They were lower volume roads that had a road located in close proximity that would remain open,” Elliott said.

Carter Road, which ceased operations Feb. 25,was closed about 250 feet east of the Greene and Monroe County Line and about 4,000 feet west of Breeden Road, according to a press release.

“Activities are moving along as expected and dirt work will begin as soon as weather allows,” Elliott said in an email.

Elliott said no set time for the closure of the other roads currently exists.

— Matt Stefanski