Friday, Sept. 27

Pages to Prisoners keeps jails literary

entPages

Literacy is a right, not a privilege.

That’s the idea behind Pages to Prisoners, a volunteer-run project that collects donated books and sends them to prisoners.

Started in Bloomington in 1995, “Pages” now partners with local literary vendor Boxcar Books to collect donations to send all over the country.

“Sometimes people forget prisoners are people, too,” Ali VanDoren, a volunteer at Boxcar, said. “They need to read, and they need contact.”

Prisoners may contact a bookstore to request for books and even write letters to them. Anyone who wishes to participate — from bookstore employees to relatives — may send letters and books back.

“That’s the most rewarding thing, to help friends and family pick out books to send a loved one,” VanDoren said. “It makes them happy.”

Boxcar keeps binders packed with letters and artwork from the prisoners on shelves at the front for customers to flip through. A small room in the back keeps books, packing materials and other donations, which includes everything from diaries to playing cards to calendars for the incarcerated.

“Sometimes I’d get a request for some of my favorite books,” Ania Tondel, a senior who has volunteered for the program, said. “That’s always really exciting.”

Service learning courses at IU sometimes require students to volunteer. Mary Fuchs, a sophomore at IU who helps classes connect with the program, said the Pages to Prisoners organization is also a great learning opportunity.

“Pages to Prisoners’ partnership with IU is a unique way to expose people to the
issues of the prison system and help make the things you learn in class more applicable,” Fuchs said.

Although some students participate, the number is still low compared to other volunteer programs on campus.

“Most of the donors that volunteer or donate are Bloomington residents,” VanDuren said. “We need more students to take part.”

Anyone can volunteer at the project’s headquarters, located at 118 S. Rogers St., Suite 2. Hours are posted on the project’s website at www.pagestoprisoners.org, as well as a list of preferred books. Donations can be dropped off at Boxcar Books.

“It makes you feel good,” Tondel said. “They’re truly thankful.”