Friday, Sept. 27

Q&A with Foxygen's Jonathan Rado

Jonathan Rado, guitarist and half of the writing team for Foxygen, spoke to the IDS about his influences, his record label and how he keeps comfortable on the road. The Jagjaguwar-signed band will open for Unknown Mortal Orchestra March 8 at the Bluebird Nightclub.

IDS You just played in Bloomington not too long ago. How was that show?
RADO We played at Russian Recording. It was a crazy show because it’s in a recording studio. It was awesome, I really love Bloomington. I may be spending some time there this summer.

IDS Is that because of the location of your record label?
RADO The only reason I would have gone to Bloomington is because of Jagjaguwar, but we went there and I loved it. It’s a cool town.

IDS How has the tour been so far playing with Unknown Mortal Orchestra?
RADO We’re on tour with Unknown Mortal Orchestra, who is also a Jagjaguwar band, but we’re also playing with Wampire and they’re on Polyvinyl. It’s nice to play with other bands that do similar music.

IDS I can understand the similarity in terms of the fact that you both perform rock music, but Foxygen’s music is much more derivative of classic bands. Where do your influences come from and how do you keep your music sounding new?
RADO I don’t know where my influences are coming from, Sam and I listen to so much music. I think we unknowingly pick and choose influences — I don’t know how it happens. We’re trying to keep it kind of old-sounding and make it like music from the past. I think what makes it sound new is the fact that it’s 2013.

IDS What have you been listening to lately?
RADO Since I’ve been on tour, I’ve been stressed, so I’ve been listening to a lot of music with no words — Thelonious Monk. I’ve been listening to some Philip Glass. Sam and I have been listening to a lot of Nick Drake.

IDS What have you been doing on tour to keep your stress down?
RADO Sleeping a lot. I invented this trick where I take a sleeping bag and put it on my lap and sleep on the sleeping bag. It keeps your body propped up so you don’t really hurt your neck.

IDS What do you think about show (on March 8)?
RADO I think it’s going to be crazy.  There are so many people in town that we know. I’m a little afraid of what’s going to happen to be honest. We have some crazy surprises planned for the show.