Saturday, Oct. 5

Elite competition awaits team in Clemson

The IU women’s rowing team heads to South Carolina this weekend to take part in the Clemson Invitational.

The Hoosiers opened their spring schedule at Clemson in March and will end their away schedule in South Carolina, as well. This week, IU will square off against 19 squads from across the country, featuring eight of the top 20 teams in the nation. 

IU has a chance at redemption in South Carolina after being edged by both No. 4 Ohio State and No. 13 Michigan at the Big Ten Double Dual last Saturday. Both will be competing in Clemson this weekend.

IU Coach Steve Peterson said that the Hoosiers are going to be on the attack this time around.

“Coming off of last week, what we felt like we had was a lot of good speed, but what we weren’t doing was really attacking the way we needed to,” Peterson said. “So one of the things we are hoping to get out of our athletes is to be a little bit more offensive in our racing.”

Peterson said the race is sure to be hectic with six boats on the water at once, but it should be a great experience for his squad. 

He said that even though the team has had a short practice week, they have been working hard to break down each segment of the race to improve their all-around performance.

Senior Madelyn Shields said the team has also been working hard on maintaining a steady rhythm throughout the race. The team’s goal, Shields said, is to try to move like a freight train through the water and gain momentum.

The quickly approaching regatta is bittersweet for Shields, being it is her last away meet.

“It’s pretty surreal for me being a senior,” Shields said. “Especially with graduation coming here soon, it’s just all going by so quickly and all of the sudden it’s going to be over. 

“I know that I have to make the most of every race. It’s really exciting, but it’s scary.”

Both Shields and Peterson said that a good showing at the Clemson Invitational is essential for setting the pace for the rest of the season, especially with the Big Ten Tournament just around the corner.

“It’s real important,” Peterson said. “We’re going to see some really fast crews and we’re going to see some of the same crews we saw last week who are the fastest crews in the Big Ten. 

“More importantly, with six boats across, there’s going to be a lot going on. There’s going to be a lot boats, a lot of noise, a lot of splashing and if you’re not prepared for that, it can throw you off of your game.”