Saturday, Oct. 5

Full field of 33 battle for women’s title

Little 500 Individual Time Trials

After spending weeks in preparation for Friday’s race, 33 women’s teams will compete for the title they’ve had their eyes on for the past year.

The 26th annual running of the women’s Little 500 will take place at 4 p.m. Friday on the track at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

In what is being considered, perhaps, the most competitive women’s field in the history of the race, reigning champion Delta Gamma will have the proverbial target on its back, but isn’t feeling any pressure that would typically be associated with defending a title.

“We know it’s going to be a fast race and we know it’s going to be really hard, but we’re ready to react to whatever happens,” Delta Gamma senior rider Kayce Doogs said. “We’re pretty deep, so we’re not worried.”

Along with the yellow jersey comes the unmistakable attention from other teams in the field, which is an aspect of Friday’s race Doogs and her teammates have embraced.

In fact, the distinction of the yellow jersey will allow Delta Gamma to set the tone early.

“Being the returning champion, there’s definitely a target on your back,” Doogs said. “People are going to be more in tune to what your every move is and they’re going to want to attack you when they can.

“They’re going to be watching like a hawk to make sure they know what you’re doing at all times because you proved yourself the year before.”

One of those “hawks” that is ready to swoop down to knock Delta Gamma from its perch is Teter, which is led by senior rider Lisa Hutcheson.

The second place finisher in this year’s Individual Time Trials, Hutcheson has been anxiously awaiting race day, eager to prove she and her Teter squad are a serious threat to win their second Little 500 championship in the past three years.

“I’m ready to get out there,” Hutcheson said enthusiastically. “We did really well in the Spring Series, and I feel like it’s now or never.”

Yet instead of paying any mind to its competition, Teter has employed an inward focus during the past week in an effort to improve on its third place finish in last year’s race.

“We’re counting the lead pack as the lead pack, but we’re not really focusing on other teams,” Hutcheson said. “We’re just going to race. We’re not going to let people sit in, we’re going to make people work and we’re going to make it a tough, exciting race.”

The amount of effort and dedication riders such as Hutcheson and Doogs have displayed since last season’s race would make a victory that much sweeter and satisfying in the minds of both women.

However, no matter the end result, Friday’s race will possess a bittersweet tinge, as both riders will be racing for the final time.

“Going out with another win would be amazing,” Doogs said. “It would show that all these years of hard work and all the sacrifices we’ve made have been worth it. It means everything.”

Hutcheson echoed those sentiments.

“It would put it all together and put it all in perspective,” she said. “I’d know it all paid off.”