Saturday, Oct. 5

Hoosiers make history

Inclement weather may have shortened the Big Ten Double Dual, but that did not stop the IU women’s rowing team from making history.

The rowers started an hour before the initial start time. The cold temperature and a crucial line up change the night before the race did not stop the IU First Varsity Eight.

The boat showcasing coxswain finished ahead of the Michigan State Spartans for the first time in IU’s history on Saturday while participating in the Big Ten Double Dual in Ann Arbor, Mich.

Claire Robinson, rower for the First Varsity Eight, was involved in a car accident before leaving for Ann Arbor and was sidelined for the race. Head Coach Steve Peterson said changing up line-ups in rowing presents its own challenge because you end up moving around rowers from every boat.

Peterson said he thought his team handled the turbulent conditions fairly well.

“It is definitely a challenge,” Peterson said. “You hope its not, but it is. We knew we needed to practice before because it throws off your psyche. We did OK, but we are a young team. I’d give them a solid B overall.”

IU trailed Michigan State by about half a boat length from the start of the race until about the last 500 meters when Michigan State caught a crab. That stunted the Spartans for a couple seconds, and the Hoosiers took advantage of the opportunity.

Peterson said the teams were nose-to-nose, and in the last 300 meters, the Hoosiers pulled away and clinched the win.

Coach Peterson said the win against Michigan State is a huge accomplishment.

“It’s great, it’s really the first time winning over Michigan State ever,” Peterson said.
“We were jockeying back and forth and back and forth for the last 50 meters. Anytime you can get a win you’ll take it.”

IU beat Michigan State by nearly three seconds with a final of time of 6:51.72. IU still finished behind No. 4 ranked Ohio State and No. 13 Michigan, but Peterson said the team knew those boats were going to be fast.

Michigan finished second in the country last year and Ohio State was not far behind in fourth place.

IU’s Second Varsity Eight may have finished fourth, but they stayed with Michigan (6:056.3) and Michigan State (6:56.63) to finish only eight seconds behind with a time of 7:04.57.

The First Novice Eight and the First Varsity Four finished fourth in their respective races.

Peterson said his team had an OK day, but the fact some of the boats proved they could keep up with some of the fastest teams in the country was a big accomplishment — one the Hoosiers hope to build upon.

IU will return to the water April 20 to compete in the Clemson Invitational.