Saturday, Oct. 5

IU finishes 6th at Boilermaker Invitational

The IU men’s golf team was unable to continue its streak of two consecutive tournament titles last weekend, finishing in a tie for sixth place at the Boilermaker Invitaitonal.

IU, who had last failed to win a tournament in which it was entered in late February, met top-50 teams Kent State and Illinois, along with Big Ten rivals Purdue, Iowa and Michigan State in its final regular-season event.

Despite the strength of the field, the Hoosiers’ biggest opponent may have been the weather, which could be described as uncooperative. Senior Michael McGee said the conditions made Purdue’s Kampen Course more difficult than usual.

“It made the golf course really long,” McGee said. “Everything was plugging, and it was really cold. The days were long slogs, everything was wet and the bunkers were in terrible shape. We just had to stick through it.”

McGee led the Hoosiers on the weekend, recording his fourth top-10 finish of the season with rounds of 75-73-70, good for two-over par 218 and a tie for ninth place. The senior, who has struggled to find consistency in the spring campaign, credited a new frame of mind to his strong play.

“I’ve kind of struggled recently,” McGee said. “I had a better mindset this week, just trying to score the best I could.”

Junior David Mills was the Hoosiers’ second-best performer, playing even-par golf through the first two rounds before struggling a bit on Sunday. He shot rounds of 71-73-76 for

four-over par 220 and a tie for 15th place. It was Mills’ third consecutive top-16 finish.

Senior Brant Peaper, the Hoosiers’ No. 1 player and Golfweek’s No. 97 player in men’s collegiate golf, finished in a tie for 27th place, shooting rounds of 76-75-73 for eight-over par 224. It was the first time since November’s Warrior Wave Intercollegiate that Peaper was not among the top-two finishers for IU.

McGee said he feels Peaper’s play was an aberration and that the senior will continue his strong play in the future.

“We know Brant’s going to be there,” McGee said. “He’s always going to be solid for us, and he throws in low rounds on a consistent basis.”

Senior Corey Ziedonis shot rounds of 75-75-78, good for 12-over par 228 and a tie for 41st place.

Ziedonis finished one shot ahead of sophomore Andrew Fogg, who, in only his fifth event of the season, strung together rounds of 76-74-79 for 229 and a tie for 45th place.

IU Coach Mike Mayer said his team performed well enough to win the event.

“I think we played very well at times, but we didn’t do the simple things very well,” Mayer said. “I don’t think anybody ran away with (the tournament). If we had taken care of business, we would have won the tournament.”

The No. 55 Hoosiers will begin the postseason next week at the Big Ten Championships in French Lick, Ind., once again attempting to ensure their spot in the NCAA Tournament field.