Friday, Sept. 27

Lil Bub & Friendz to premiere

entLilBubCarousel

Every cat will have its day.

Lil Bub, a Bloomington cat of internet fame, is the subject of a feature film about the rise of online celebrity among animals debuting Sunday at the Buskirk-Chumley
Theatre.

“Lil Bub & Friendz,” which debuted at the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival, will be screened at 1:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. Sunday at the theater. The film addresses the virality of cat videos on YouTube, as well as other animal memes like Keyboard Cat, Nyan Cat and Grumpy Cat.

The movie claims to be the first to investigate the phenomenon of internet cats and memes and is a story of “positivity and optimism in the face of hardship,” according to its press release.

Bub will also be present for a meet-and-greet from 3 to 5 p.m. Sunday. Tickets for the film cost $10 and will benefit local and regional animal charities.

Last month, Bub’s appearance at New York City’s Social Tees Animal Rescue raised $2,400 in funds and hundreds of pounds of litter and food, according to the cat’s website.

The nearly 2-year-old Bloomington feline is known for her “perma-kitten” condition, which means Bub will stay tiny and maintain kitten-like features as she ages. Bub has short legs attached to a long body. The cat is toothless, has a short lower jaw,  extra toes, as well as opposable thumbs in front.

Bub’s distinct appearance, 22 claws and all, has drawn a following of over 120,000 Facebook fans and an appearance on NBC Today.

Tickets are available at the BCT Box Office and Landlocked Music. The movie is directed and produced by Andy Capper and Juliette Eisner.

For more information, visit lilbub.com.

­— Jeff LaFave