Saturday, Oct. 5

Women's golf places 5th

The IU women’s golf team fired a round of 303 for the second consecutive day to finish the final day of the Big Ten Tournament in fifth place. The Hoosiers finished with a 916 (310-303-303) over 54 holes of play. Northwestern and Purdue tied for the team title at 884, with Michigan State third (889) and Penn State fourth (900) at the Donald Ross Course at the French Lick Resort in French Lick, Indiana.

Senior Kate Coons posted the lowest round of the tournament for IU on Sunday with a 1-over par 73 to place tied for 20th (80-75-73/228). The round was a career best for Coons in the Big Ten tournament as she posted only two bogeys the entire day.

Showing promise for the future, freshman Marissa DeCola delivered a strong performance for Coach Clint Wallman’s squad. DeCola was able to tie for 26th after a final round 76. Her final round Sunday included two birdies and nine pars. Her three round tally for the tournament was (80-74-76/230).

Finishing third among the Hoosiers, sophomore Elizabeth Tong was 5-over par for Sunday’s round and finished tied for 32nd (78-77-77/232). She birdied the first hole right out of the gate but had a minor setback on the par-3 sixth hole. Her finish was a career best in the Big Ten tournament as well.

Senior Rosie Davies capped her Big Ten career with a tie for 38th at 234 (76-77-81). Davies had a pair of double bogeys on the third and tenth holes but would card 11 holes of par on the day.

Graduate student Kristen Schelling posted a tie for 41st in her only career Big Ten tournament appearance, (she transferred from UNLV) and posted a three day total of (76-83-77). Her final round Sunday saw her post 13 holes of par, and she threw in a birdie on the 17th hole as well.

Competing in her fourth overall conference tournament, senior Pamela Burneski finished in a 70th with a score of 258 (87-85-86).

Paula Reto from Purdue won the conference crown by an impressive seven shots over Caroline Powers from Michigan State. She posted a 4-under par total of 219.

The Hoosiers must now wait in anticipation to see if they will be selected by the NCAA to compete in the NCAA post-season tournament. Television highlights of the 2013 Big Ten women’s golf championship are scheduled to air 6 p.m. May 8 on the Big Ten Network.

— Alden Woods