Friday, Sept. 27

Go for leather, sporty chic

I am set to leave Paris in a few days, and today I answered the question I left in my last column.

I asked myself, “What Parisian fashion did I want to adopt into my wardrobe?”
Recently, I was giving a presentation forecasting the trends for the upcoming months based on street fashions in Paris.

Standing in front of the class, I gestured to a neon green belt, commenting on how colorful accents would be in season soon.

As I sat back down in my seat, I reflected on the street style I saw in the city.
While I was envious of the mannequin that sported the neon belt, I remembered other styles I saw in stores and on the streets that I didn’t think would translate into an American market.

Don’t get me wrong. I love French fashion, but there are some things I saw as I walked the cobblestone streets of Paris that the United States isn’t ready for.

At least, the U.S. shouldn’t be ready for them.

Is it just me, or are wedged sneakers a bit too much? If you disagree, by all means go for them. I think this is a trend that should stay in Europe.

And yet, there was an aspect to the shoe that I loved, despite the weird combination.

There’s something I love about how Parisians easily combine fashion with athletics.

When I look at our campus, I don’t necessarily look at athletic gear as something fashionable. I look at it as something practical and comfortable.

However, in Paris, people rock their sneakers like we rock Sperry’s. 

This athletic trend can also be seen in this month’s French Vogue: a model reclines backward, neon orange football pants hanging from her hips.

Taking all this into account, here is my summary of must-have wardrobe items inspired by Parisian high fashion magazine, as well as the street fashion I have been analyzing for my summer class: You must, must, must own some form of leather.

Parisians young and old own a leather jacket. I, myself, recently helped out a retailer by taking a pair of leather shorts off their hands.

Also, grab a pair of sneakers.

When I say this, I do not mean pull out a pair of running shoes. I mean pull out a pair of pretty, less practical shoes that have an athletic look. I see pristine Converse everywhere in Paris.

These tips are sure to make you stand apart from your fashionable counterparts this season.

audperki@indiana.edu