Saturday, Oct. 5

Column: Next year's NBA odds on favorites

The champagne-soaked jerseys, shorts and championship t-shirts of the Miami Heat weren’t given ample time to dry before future-gazing fans and bettors latched on to stakes of the 2013-14 NBA season.

In this society of instant gratification, sports fans often find themselves day dreaming about the following season immediately after, if not before, the current season ends.

Odds makers of the various casinos that operate the sports betting industry were quick to crown the Heat as next season’s favorites, though the team may have a true obstacle in the Eastern Conference following a blockbuster trade that sent Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce from the Boston Celtics to the new look Brooklyn Nets.

Whether the Heat will hoist the Larry O’Brien Championship Trophy for the third consecutive season next summer remains to be seen, though bona fide title contenders have been set (odds courtesy of www.betvega.com).

Miami Heat (2/1): With LeBron James in tow, the Heat’s capability of winning a third consecutive title goes without question. The pieces of James’ supporting cast — key to another championship run — will gain clarity once the NBA’s moratorium period lifts July 10. Floor spacer Ray Allen has exercised his player option for next season, and the possibility of the team shopping forward Chris Bosh remains in play.

Oklahoma City Thunder
(11/2): During this season’s playoffs, Oklahoma City experienced the plight of the 2011-12 Chicago Bulls, as star point guard Russell Westbrook suffered a torn meniscus in the first round, which ultimately derailed the team’s championship hopes. But with a healthy Westbrook and a scoring champion in Kevin Durant, the Thunder will be the top dog in the Western Conference.

Los Angeles Clippers (10/1): For the first time in the modern era, the Clippers will be the only title contender in their home city. With new head coach Doc Rivers joining point guard Chris Paul and forward Blake Griffin, the Clippers have become a force to be reckoned with. The only loose end for the franchise to tie up is securing the services of a legitimate scoring threat on the wing to solidify the backcourt.

Brooklyn Nets (10/1): Brooklyn has become the new kid on the block, having become the first team to hire a head coach immediately out of his playing career, Jason Kidd. The team also made the bold move of proposing and accomplishing a blockbuster trade that allowed it to acquire the services of two all-star caliber players in Pierce and Garnett. With a backcourt that includes Joe Johnson and point guard Deron Williams, the Nets may possess sufficient firepower to dethrone the Heat as the favorites in the Eastern Conference.

Chicago Bulls (11/1): Had point guard Derrick Rose not gone down with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in the first round of the 2012 playoffs, the NBA itself may have looked entirely different than its current form. Rose’s Bulls may very well have eliminated the Heat, becoming the kings of the league. With a healthy Rose and more formidable core around him, Chicago has established itself as a contender once again.

My pick: Heat