Saturday, Oct. 5

Hoosiers compete for Team USA

14 Hoosiers will trade their candy stripes for the stars and stripes this summer

spSheridan

This summer, 14 current, former and incoming IU athletes will travel the world wearing a Team USA jersey and playing for America.

Eight of those athletes are competing for Team USA in the World University Games, which are held every two years and are reserved for athletes between the ages of 17 and 28 and who have completed at least one three-credit course toward a degree within the last year of the games.

Here’s a list of which sports and athletes IU has represented on the world stage this summer.

Men’s basketball
Athletes Senior Will Sheehey and sophomore Yogi Ferrell
What Team USA at the World University Games
When July 6-17
Where Kazan, Russia
Sheehey and Ferrell become the first two IU players to join Team USA’s junior men’s national team since Brain Evans in 1995. IU is the only school with two players on the 12-man roster.

Women’s basketball

Athlete 2013 graduate Aulani Sinclair
What NetScouts Basketball Team USA Women’s Collegiate All-Stars
When June 13 to July 1
Where PiangXiang City, China; Chengdu, China; Changsu, China; Qinhuangdao, China
Sinclair has helped lead Team USA to a 9-0 record, averaging 10.7 points per game as of press time. She was named MVP of the PiangXiang City portion of the tournament.

Baseball
Athletes Juniors Kyle Schwarber and Sam Travis
What Team USA Collegiate National Team
When June 22-July 23
Where various cities throughout the U.S. and various cities in Japan
Days after their run in the College World Series ended, Schwarber and Travis suited up in the stars and stripes for the summer. Each has started in three games thus far, with Schwarber hitting 3-for-12 with 5 RBI and Travis batting 4-for-8 with 1 RBI. The team is 5-0.

Diving
Athlete 2013 graduate Amy Cozad
What
10-meter platform for Team USA at the World Championships
When July 20-31
Where Barcelona, Spain
Cozad reached the World Championships by scoring a personal best 390.50 in the finals of the USA Diving World Championships Trials May 20.

Diving
Athletes 2013 graduate Casey Johnson and senior Conor Murphy
When July 6-17
Where Kazan, Russia
Johnson and Murphy placed fourth in the synchronized platform competition at the USA Diving World Championship Trials May 20, just missing a spot at the World Championships.

Swimming
Athletes 2013 graduate Jim Barbiere, seniors Cody Miller and James Wells
When July 6-17
Where Kazan, Russia
Miller and Wells were recently added to the Team USA roster after performances at the U.S. Nationals in Indianapolis. Barbiere will swim in the 4x200 relay, Miller in the 50-, 100- and 200-meter breaststroke and Wells in the 50-, 100- and 200-meter backstroke.

Wrestling
Athlete Junior Luke Sheridan
What FILA Team USA at the Junior World Championships
When Aug. 13-18
Where Sofia, Bulgaria
This is Sheridan’s third time donning the stars and stripes. He will compete in the 185-pound weight class.

Track and Field
Athlete 2012 graduate De’Sean Turner
What 3,000-meter steeplechase for Team USA at the World Championships
When Aug. 10-18
Where Moscow
Turner, IU’s first three-time All-American in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, will compete for Team USA for the first time. He beat out former IU teammate Andrew Poore at the qualifications June 23 in Des Moines, Iowa.

Track and Field
Athlete Incoming freshman Bethany Neeley
What 3,000-meter steeplechase for Team USA at the Pan-American Junior Championships
When Aug. 23-25
Where
Medellin, Colombia
In her first time ever running the 3,000-meter steeplechase, Neeley ran the third-fastest time in the event by a U.S. high school student June 21 in Des Moines, Iowa, to qualify for the Pan-Am Junior Championships.