Saturday, Oct. 5

Hoosiers make history in NBA Draft

Former IU guard Victor Oladipo was selected No. 2 overall by the Orlando Magic Thursday night at the NBA Draft in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Two picks later, former center Cody Zeller was selected No. 4 overall by the Charlotte Bobcats.

It is the two highest draft picks in IU basketball history. IU had never had two players taken in the top five of the NBA Draft before.

The best draft before this for IU was 1976 when Scott May went No. 2 overall and Quinn Buckner went No. 7 overall.

Oladipo becomes the sixth Hoosier drafted in the top five of the NBA Draft, and the first since Isiah Thomas was drafted No. 2 overall in 1981.

He is also the fourth Hoosier to be drafted No. 2 overall, joining Archie Dees (1958), Scott May (1976), and Thomas.

Oladipo becomes the first Hoosier to be drafted since 2008 when D.J. White was selected with the No. 29 pick. That year, Eric Gordon was also selected at No. 7.

The 6-foot-4 guard from Upper Marlboro, Md., played three seasons for the Hoosiers before he graduated in May 2013.

In his third season with the Hoosiers, he won Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year honors and was also named a First Team All-American.

"I'm just going to come in and work my butt off," Oladipo told ESPN after he was drafted. "I'm going to bring a work ethic they've never seen before."

Zeller, who joins his brother Tyler and Luke in the NBA, is the first Hoosier to be drafted No. 4 overall in the NBA Draft. He becomes the seventh Hoosier to be drafted in the top five.

Zeller was also an All-American and averaged 16.1 points in his two seasons in the candy stripes. He scored 1,157 points in those two seasons.

It is the fifth time in school history that multiple players have been taken in the first round of the NBA Draft.

IU has now had 22 players taken in the first round of the NBA Draft.