Saturday, Oct. 5

sports baseball

IU to play Louisville Saturday at 8 p.m.

The NCAA released the official brackets for the double-elimination round of the College World Series Monday night.

IU will play Louisville Saturday at 8 p.m. in the Hoosiers' first appearance in Omaha, Neb. The game will be televised on ESPN.

The Hoosiers will stay in Omaha at least through Monday.

The eight teams in the College World Series are divided into two, four-team brackets that play double-elimination to advance to the final championship series, a best of three series that matches up the winner of each bracket.

If IU wins Saturday, it will play the winner of the Mississippi State vs. Oregon State game on Monday at 8 p.m.

If the Hoosiers lose to Louisville Saturday, they will go to the loser's bracket in the double-elimination tournament. Then IU would play the loser of the Mississippi State vs. Oregon State game Monday at 3 p.m. and would have to win to stay alive.

If IU loses to Louisville Saturday, but wins Monday afternoon, it will play on Wednesday, June 19 at 8 p.m.

If IU wins Saturday, but loses Monday evening, it will play in the Wednesday game and will again have to win to stay alive.

Should IU win the Wednesday game if it advances there, it will play Friday, June 21 at 3 p.m. for the chance to advance to the Championship Series, a best-of-three set with the winner from the other side of the bracket.

If IU wins Saturday and Monday, the Hoosiers will advance directly to the Friday game, bypassing Wednesday.

The Hoosiers took two of three game from Louisville during the regular season. The Cardinals finished 51-12 (20-4 in Big East) and won their conference.

Mississippi State finished 46-18 (16-14 in the SEC), good for fifth in the SEC.

Oregon State was the last team to join the four-team bracket, defeating Kansas State 4-3 Monday night in Game 3 of their super regional. The Beavers won the Pac-12 with a 49-11 (24-6 in Pac-12) record.

Making up the opposite side of the bracket is No. 4 national seed LSU who will play UCLA, and NC State who will play the winner of Tuesday's North Carolina and South Carolina matchup.

LSU finished second in the SEC with a record of 55-9 (23-7 in SEC). UCLA is 44-17 (21-9) and ended the season third in the Pac-12.

Every game of the College World Series will be on either ESPN or ESPN2.