Saturday, Oct. 5

Former IU soccer player returns to MLS after battling leukemia for 3 months

spAlston

After fighting leukemia for the past three months, former IU soccer player Kevin Alston has been taken off the disabled list for the New England Revolution.

“I hit a bump in my life where you find something out that you never expect and life throws curve balls at you and you have to take it and go with it,” Alston said in an interview courtesy of revolutionsoccer.net.

Alston, 25, last played for the Hoosiers in 2008, leaving IU after his junior year to be picked No. 10 overall by the Revolution.

During his time at IU, he was a Second Team All-Big Ten selection as a sophomore and First Team All-Big Ten as a junior.

He helped lead the Hoosiers to three NCAA tournament appearances, culminating with a quarterfinals appearance in 2008.

Alston has started 116 games for the Revolution and was an all-star in 2010.

Alston has played five seasons for New England, and ranks in the top 10 for most appearances, starts and minutes played for the franchise.

According to the team’s website, Alston made the journey Monday to Colorado with his team, where the Revolution played the Colorado Rapids Wednesday.

“I think it’s been a blessing in disguise,” Alston said. “A lot of good came from it. I’m just really grateful and fortunate that I had the opportunity to help out the team any way I can and have the opportunity to play again.”

Evan Hoopfer