Saturday, Oct. 5

Zeller, Watford continue Summer League play

IUBB v. Ohio State March 5 2013

Cody Zeller’s first basket in the NBA’s Las Vegas Summer League looked a lot like his first basket as an Indiana Hoosier.

With just under four minutes left in the second quarter against the San Antonio Spurs Friday, the former IU center took a pass from Abdul Gaddy and finished above the rim, dunking the ball.

In an exhibition game against the University of Indianapolis in November 2011, Zeller took a pass on the fastbreak and scored a layup for his first points as a Hoosier.

In his professional debut, Zeller finished with eight points, five rebounds, two assists and one block in 29 minutes of play as the Bobcats fell to the Spurs, 69-68.

He followed his first dunk with another just two possessions later. He hit two jump shots in the third quarter and finished 4-for-9 from the field.

Zeller’s next game was Sunday night. Final stats were not available as of press time.
In Sunday’s game, Zeller matched up with a familiar face in former IU teammate Christian Watford.

Watford, who played in the Orlando Summer League with the Indiana Pacers, left the Pacers’ camp early to fly out to Vegas and join the Dallas Mavericks.

He started in the team’s first game Saturday, but recorded zero points in the Mavs’ 76-73 victory against the Sacramento Kings.

Watford only attempted two field goals, both 3-point field goals, in more than 11 minutes of play Saturday. He added one block and one rebound in his debut with the Mavericks.

Former IU guard Victor Oladipo wrapped up play in the Orlando Summer League Thursday. He did not play in the team’s final game on Friday.

Oladipo was named to the Southwest Airlines First Team All-Summer League Team after averaging 19 points, five rebounds and four assists in four games.

He hit a step-back 3-pointer against former Syracuse guard Michael Carter-Williams with 4.4 seconds remaining in Thursday’s game against the Philadelphia 76ers to give the Magic a 90-89 win.

Robby Howard