Friday, Oct. 4

Chestnut academically ineligible, Hoobler likely out for season

Another incoming freshman will not play for IU this fall.

3-star running back Daryl Chestnut is not academically eligible to play this fall. He joins 4-star receiver Taj Williams and 3-star defensive lineman Maurice Swain as incoming freshmen ruled academically ineligible.

“The plan is, we’re trying to look at the choices and trying to get him as a midyear,” IU Coach Kevin Wilson said. “That being said, we’ll replace him with another walk-on.”

Chestnut and Williams are in similar situations. Both will try again to become academically eligible in the spring semester.

“The plan is, Taj (Williams) and Daryl (Chestnut), will be to try to get there situations, where they are very close, officially eligible where they would start in January,” Wilson said.

Swain, not as close as Chestnut and Williams to becoming eligible, will have to go to junior college. Wilson said he would, “keep an eye on him,” in the future.

The absence of Chestnut at the running back position will not hurt the depth, Wilson said.

“At the same time we did sign three backs,” Wilson said. “(Freshman running back) LeRay (Smith) looks very fast and we got the other animals back.”

Linebacker Chase Hoobler likely out for season

During his freshmen campaign, junior linebacker Chase Hoobler made the freshmen all-Big Ten team for BTN.com.

His sophomore season was cut short by missing six games due to injury, and his junior year looks to be done due to a stress fracture in his foot.

“He has a stress fracture that will be operated on and that’ll push him four months,” Wilson said. “And maybe, that basically shoots his year.”

Much like how Chestnut’s departure doesn’t hurt running back depth, Wilson said the bevvy of talent in the linebacking corps will make Hoobler’s absence less severe.

“It’s really unfortunate more for him, then for us,” Wilson said. “To me, he’s a good kid. A fourth year kid, good student and you want him to do well. It’s more you feel for Chase (Hoobler) … we’ll move forward in a good way.”

Still no quarterback announced

Junior Cam Coffman is competing alongside sophomores Tre Roberson and Nate Sudfeld for the quarterback position.

IU came into camp without an announced starter and after four days, there is no certainty on who will start under center.

“All have looked good, but not as sharp as I want, but it’s early,” Wilson said. “Not bad by any means.”

No matter who plays for the Hoosiers, Wilson stressed the importance of being able to throw on the run.

“We’re all doing a lot more moving around,” Wilson said. “Whether it be movement throws, awkward throws, quarterback run game and we’re throwing it a lot.”

There is not timeline for making the quarterback decision.

Wilson opts for early game vs. Indiana State
to give more time to prepare for Navy

IU opens against Indiana State on Thursday night, Aug. 29. Wilson explained he pushed for a Thursday night opener to give his defense more time to prepare for Navy.

“I’m the person who wanted to play on Thursday,” Wilson said. “Because I wanted a few more days to transition to the second game… but to get ready for that option is two more days of preparation.”

The Hoosiers will play Navy the next week, who runs the less-conventional option offense. Last season Navy won 31-30 while amassing 257 rushing yards against the Hoosier defense.

“When you play an option football team, it’s a total waste of what you do defensively,” Wilson said. “Philosophy wise, everything you do from a D-line perspective, a linebacker’s perspective, it doesn’t fit … And those guys (Navy), they’re awesome.”

Kelvin Sampson reference

Wilson’s press conference ended on a lighter note when a cell phone went off in the room.

The coach reached for his pocket saying, “Is that me?”

“It’s not you,” a member of IU’s media relations team said.

“Good, because then you’d say I was Coach Sampson or something, right?” Wilson said, filling the room with laughter.