Friday, Sept. 27

Column: Fast Fashion to Arrive in Bloomington

Ladies, get ready. Fast fashion retailer H&M is set to arrive in Bloomington this fall.

Recently, one of my friends found this fact on Facebook, and once shared, it spread
like wildfire. Initially, I was excited to see this kind of store reach its hand to our college town. For those that are unaware, H&M is a store that sells trendy clothing and accessories for an affordable price.  

So far in my two years studying and shopping in Bloomington, I’ve only found boutique-like stores that sell trendy clothes. I like them, but they’re expensive.
Therefore, the news about H&M  brightened my day.

The fashionable, economical retailers have finally opened their eyes to the eager shoppers that college towns like ours provide.

Unfortunately this news can be a double-edged sword. While I, as well as many other students on a budget, am excited to see the first steps toward a different level of store coming to Bloomington, I quickly switched to wondering about the possible negative after-effects of it’s arrival.

Not taking into account the usual lazy look of a t-shirt and some sort of leggings that can be seen universally no matter the season, I enjoy walking around campus and seeing everyone’s unique style. I like seeing people mix and match vintage and boutique goods they find on Kirkwood.  

While I know some probably bring fast fashion goods from home, I like the challenge I see in people’s outfits day to day.  

What will happen if everyone inevitably floods H&M the day of opening? I feel there is a strong potential to everyone starting to look the same. People will buy similar goods because they are cheap and they look good. Part of me fears a loss of individuality.

No matter the ending, seeing the news had me wondering one thing: what will happen once fast fashion opens its doors to Bloomington?

--audperki@indiana.edu