Friday, Oct. 4

Column: Roundtree brings fun to Club 105

IU Football Spring Game

If there’s a joke on the IU football team, it’s not hard to guess the source.

It probably can be traced back to junior wide receiver Isaiah “Zek” Roundtree.

“He’s a character,” Wide Receivers Coach Kevin Johns said.

If you follow any Twitter or Instagram account associated with the team, you’ve seen #Club105.

Yeah, that was Zek.

He put that hashtag on one of his pictures at the beginning of camp because it just popped into his mind. He never expected it to become a thing that most players picked up.

“Club 105, first of all, we had over 135 people come this summer, and only 105 could come,” Roundtree said, “so it’s kind of like an invitation thing, so I put club in front of it, Club 105, like it’s an invitation. And Club 105 just sounded good, so I went with it, and it caught on.”

The 105 references the number of players on the official roster.

Roundtree was quick to point out, “I started that,” when bringing it up. It’s a bit of a source of pride for the converted running back.

The official IU football Twitter account and IU Coach Kevin Wilson’s account have both used #Club105.

“Once I seen it,” Roundtree said, “I’m like, ‘Dang, I really started that.’ It’s pretty cool.”

Two-a-days are a grind. Teams lay the foundation for the upcoming season. It can get stressful. That’s when Johns turns to Roundtree.

“It’s great to have him around because he keeps everybody just easy, laid back,” he said. “At any time, he can crack a joke and get everybody to relax. Anytime you get 105 guys, you’re going to have lots of different personalities. I think he’s just the one who can keep the team easy and laid back and can provide some comedy relief.”

Bringing the topic up to senior tight end Ted Bolser, he can’t help but laugh. He has to finish chuckling before he can collect his thoughts.

“It literally is just like a big club of 105 of us,” Bolser said. “Not many people know what goes on inside of it. It’s not really a joking thing, it’s serious, but it’s something we can all relate to.”

Camp is also a time when a football team becomes a brotherhood. Like Bolser said, it’s something that only the players there everyday can really understand.

Roundtree said he thinks the #Club105 concept has helped bring the team closer together throughout camp, giving each player something he can identify with and bond over.

“We’re always around each other,” he said. “And the more you’re around a person, that just builds trust automatically. Just being here most of the day, you get to know your teammates better. Like I said, the more you’re around a person, the more you trust them. This whole camp is a bonding experience.”

And #Club105 has certainly been a part of that experience. But Roundtree, who recently had his scholarship renewed after initally joining the team as a walk-on, is no joking man once he hits the field, Johns said.

“I’ll tell you, when we go to play ball, he’s the most serious guy that’s on that field, and he doesn’t like losing,” he said. “He doesn’t like being wrong. He’s really a perfectionist once you step on the field.”

But at the end of the day, Roundtree’s still going to have fun. That’s just his personality.

Unlike Petey Jones’ character in “Remember the Titans” who concluded that football is “Zero fun, sir,” Roundtree makes fun his priority at Club 105.

“It’s all about fun,” he said. “At the end of the day, football is fun. I’m having fun. I’m always smiling, always joking. It’s just fun to me.”

­— robhowar@indiana.edu
Follow columnist Robby Howard on Twitter @robbyhoward1