Friday, Oct. 4

Former rugby coach returns to IU club

After losing in the Big Ten Final Four this spring, Stephen Fairley and the IU Rugby Executive Board had seen enough.

Fairley, the president of the board, said members felt it was time to move in a different direction with the head coach.

Shortly after, the board decided to fire Marcus Hurley and hire former coach Sarasopa Enari.

“It wasn’t that he did anything absolutely terrible, it was just we weren’t seeing the results with all of the talent we have that we wanted,” Fairley said. “There was an opportunity to bring Sopa back out of retirement, and so I jumped on it.”

Hurley will continue to serve in his role as Commissioner of the Big Ten Union Rugby Conference, Fairley said.

Because rugby is a club sport and not a Division I sport, a student board is in charge of the team, not the IU athletic department.

Enari had coached the IU Rugby team from fall 1995 to spring 2007, Fairley said.
During Enari’s tenure, he led the team to eight Sweet 16 appearances, one Final Four and a national No. 2 ranking at one time.

Fairley said that Enari’s son currently plays on the team, and one of his older sons previously played.

“He’s been in the loop, and he’s known about Marcus not living up to everyone’s standards.” Fairley said.

Fairley said Enari is also a reverend and a doctor and is involved in helping the homeless population in Bloomington.

The team will play Ball State in its first game at noon Saturday at Evan Williams Field, located by the U-Gym.

— Robby Howard