Friday, Sept. 27

Windfall offers discounted classes

entWindfall

Windfall Dancers Inc. is tucked behind a series of rose bushes at 1101 N Dunn St., and Monday through Friday, it opens its doors to students of all ages.

But this week, as a special trial, the studio is offering some of its signature classes for $6 a piece. The regular rate per class ranges from $9 to $17.

The Windfall school of dance offers a variety of classes including ballet, jazz, modern, hip-hop and tap, as well as unconventional classes like musical theater movement.

Classes are also offered at a variety of times to accommodate varying schedules.

Senior dance major Kim Fahnestock has been a teacher at Windfall for the past year.

She said she sees many IU students trying out classes during the week of sample classes.

“A lot of people from the area come in and try classes out,” Fahnestock said. “It’s a good deal to come in and try what you like or don’t like.”

She said it’s easy to get started, so anyone can do it.

“People just come in and sign a quick waver in case they get hurt during class,” Fahnestock said. “It’s a quick process.”

Freshman Melanie Matchette is one student trying out classes this week. She said she danced in high school in her hometown of Lansing, Mich., and though she’s a marketing major, she wants to dance in her spare time.

“I’ve been dancing since I was little,” Matchette said. “I just moved here, so when I did, I looked for studios, and this is the best I’ve found.”

Matchette said she enjoyed her first day of classes and plans on coming back in the future.

“I took ballet earlier, and now I’m taking modern, and I really liked it,” Matchette said.

“It was on my level — comfortable but challenging.”

Follow local arts reporter Janica Kaneshiro on Twitter @janicakaneshiro.