Friday, Oct. 4

Freshman forward Williams injures right hand in workout

Freshman forward Troy Williams suffered a right hand injury during a workout and will miss “the next few weeks,” according to a program release.

“Troy has been rising in all areas of his game,” IU Coach Tom Crean said in the release. “While this is a setback, it is a minor one in the scheme of things.”

The release did not say how the injury occurred — other than it was during a workout — or what exactly is wrong with Williams’ right hand.

Known as a dynamic dunker, Williams said on his Twitter account Monday he wasn’t sure if he would be able to compete in the Hoosier Hysteria dunk contest.

Williams, a 6-foot-7 forward from Hampton, Va., was ranked No. 57 in the 2013 class by ESPN.

Every major recruiting website had him as one of the top 20 small forwards in the nation.

Williams was the Gatorade Player of the Year in Virginia, averaging 16.2 points, 7.5 rebounds, four assists and two blocks during his senior season at Oak Hill Academy.
He guided Oak Hill to a 34-5 record last season.

During the summer, Williams played in the Jordan Brand Classic and the Derby Festival Basketball Classic, at which he was named MVP after recording 21 points, five rebounds and four assists in 18 minutes of play.

At the small forward position, IU also has senior Will Sheehey, sophomores Jeremy Hollowell and Austin Etherington and freshmen Devin Davis and Colin Hartman on the roster.

— Robby Howard